Monday, August 24, 2009

Amish Originals Furniture Co.: Miriam's Journal August 24, 2009

August 24, 2009

Dear Journal,

August is going too fast for me. Our gardens are getting empty. Sweet corn is done for us; we canned approximately 83 quarts and 36 pints. We are now working on tomatoes – we have already canned 22 quarts and 12 pints of pizza sauce, 19 qts. and 6 pts. of salsa, some juice and ketchup. I still want to can pizza soup, then I think I’m finished with tomatoes.

We have also canned approx 80 qts. of pickles; bread-n-butter, hamburger, sweet dill, lime, and refrigerator. I have had problems with raising cucumbers the last several years. We found out that the cucumber beetle was killing the plant just as it started producing, thus destroying the dream of canning lots of pickles.

We have canned 127 qts. and 12 pts. of peaches. I have ordered pears to can fruit cocktail. I will also can pears alone. The fruit cocktail takes pineapple, grapes, and more peaches. Later this fall we want to can applesauce. We have been enjoying watermelons. They are very sweet and delicious. The biggest one so far was 41 lbs. It was hard for me to believe.

The Furniture Show is now passed for this year. It was a two-day event that was tiring but satisfying for me. This was the 3rd show that we attended. This time we decided to take pie-safes, jelly cabinets, and linen closets of various sizes and designs to show. It must have been a hit for many people as we were swamped with existing and potential customers. We also sold many serving trays. The small Shaker writing desk is also a favorite among our customers. I do appreciate the whole atmosphere at the show. The personnel is wonderful, the building is clean, and we even had air conditioning. :) There are large restrooms, a banquet and seminar area, and a kitchen where they prepare and serve meals. It’s a great place.

School will begin August 31st. We have five scholars this year. With three boys, I’m looking for another challenging school year. They are easy and quick learners, thus making it hard to keep them out of mischief. My two-year-old will probably feel left out for a while, but she soon gets over it and keeps Mom hopping. She so likes to help Mom.

I will quit for now……..


Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment