Monday, August 23, 2010

Amish Originals Furniture Co.: Back to School - Mr. Carr's Study Habits Checklist


Mr. Carr's Study Habits Checklist

The keys to success are setting goals and establishing healthy habits to achieve them.

Good homework/study skills, coupled with positive relationship skills, help students to achieve in school and in life.

Below are statements related to positive school skills. Circle a number for each statement: one (1) for almost never, two (2) for sometimes, or three (3) for almost always.

I smile and greet fellow students and adults. (1) (2) (3)

I have a regular time that I do my homework. (1) (2) (3)

I start with the subject I like least and save my favorite for last. (1) (2) (3)

I study in a quiet place away from interference such as talking, TV, or loud music. (1) (2) (3)

I make sure I have all materials I need before starting my homework projects. (1) (2) (3)

My goal is to complete all homework assignments as neatly as possible and on time. (1) (2) (3)

On tests, I do every question and fill in every blank, even if I’m not sure of the answer. (1) (2) (3)

I am well organized. I keep all my notes and papers in secure folders. (1) (2) (3)

I participate in class discussion and listen attentively. (1) (2) (3)

I use test taking study techniques such as making up possible questions or practicing questions with a parent or friend. (1) (2) (3)

I plan ahead for long term projects, setting step deadlines. (1) (2) (3)

I come to school each day determined to do the best I can do on my work and to be as nice as I can be to everyone I see. (1) (2) (3)

Check your answers. If you have mostly threes and some twos, you are probably doing well in school. If you have a number of ones, think about making changes.

Special thanks to Mr. Joe Carr, Guidance counselor, Westerville City Schools, Westerville, Ohio.

For a PDF version of Mr. Carr's tips, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment