Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Amish Original Furniture Co.: Miriam's Journal, June 12, 2009

June 12, 2009

Dear Journal,

May has passed and it’s now mid- June. We’ve been very busy getting the patch planted. The patch is a much larger garden then my early garden. We have planted in it; sweet corn, beans, potatoes, tomatoes, beets, carrots, some onions, watermelons, cantaloupes, cucumbers, etc.; vegetables that can take up more room and they are also planted later than the cool weather vegetables. I do have peas planted in it this year.

We are finished planting, but we now have to keep an eye open for bugs and diseases. We then spray everything with various sprays as what works for one thing may not work for something else. I have my preference, but with so many things out there to use, someone else may use something different. It is still a constant battle with bugs, rodents and diseases, thus making this a busy time of year.

We have also been picking strawberries and peas. The peas have been just enough to eat fresh so far. The strawberries, we have made freezer jam, pies, pizza, shortcake, plus froze some. We are hoping to get enough to can yet. We have found out that we like it pretty good if we can it in strawberry glaze.

I do have Marie helping me in addition to the younger children. The help is needed and greatly appreciated.

A person, especially in our culture, does not want to become weary of teaching our customs. I believe that too much is getting lost already. Some things that my grandparents knew weren’t handed down so we aren’t able to keep the tradition. Some things aren’t as important to keep as others so I don’t dwell on it. What is important to me is to teach my children live off the land; to raise and preserve as much of our own food as we can. We have started to save our new seeds for planting (most).

Another thing that’s important to me is to teach our children to be God fearing and law-abiding citizens. In our culture we don’t have a lot of modern conveniences that is offered to the world. It is sometimes hard to explain to young children the whys to everything, but in the long run, if we don’t give up, they do understand every well. And then they will want to teach their children the same. Thus the tradition gets passed on.

There are people and things that do change, so I cannot and do not want to speak for them. (In our own community; among our own people)

Miriam


©2009 Amish Originals Furniture Co. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment