Monday, December 14, 2009

Amish Originals Furniture Co.: Miriam's Journal December 14, 2009

Dear Journal,

This Fall has been busy, busy for me, so I tend to let this slip a little……..

I have started babysitting in addition to my already busy schedule, making me busier. So I’m asking for a little patience in my visits with you.

Peter and the children have been going coon hunting every evening if the weather permits. Joas has gone even if Dad didn’t. With Christmas orders, Peter couldn’t justify leaving the shop to go hunting. So far they have 55 coon pelts. Most of the time it would be Joas, Beth, and Roman that would go. Sometimes if there wouldn’t be school I would let the scholars go. They usually leave approximately 6:30pm and come home at midnight or after. School children need their rest so they can study the next day. There are evenings when they don’t do well in the woods, but they still enjoy going and usually come home with some good stories

Deer (gun) season brought us nine deer and some deer stories. No one got anything big so I’m wishing them luck on the 19th. I do depend on the meat so I don’t recommend them to just hunt for the BIG one. Two years ago I started soaking the deer meat before grinding so I don’t can beef anymore. In our house we don’t taste the difference. It doesn’t have the wild taste like before. I’m happy to share the recipe

1 – 13 qt bowl of cut-up deer meat, 2 oz. cider vinegar, ¾ Cup salt, ½ teas. liquid smoke (any flavor), enough water to cover meat. Soak overnight, drain, rinse, drain, and grind

I season mine with salt and pepper before grinding. Enjoy

Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment