Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Amish Originals Furniture Co.: Miriam's Journal, August 11, 2009

Over the past 17 years I've seen lot's of crazy things while visiting our Amish friends, but this is a real dandy. What I would have given to witness this. Hope you enjoy Miriam's account of all the fun. -- Doug Winbigler

August 11, 2009

The Three Little Pigs

Dear Journal,


We are now into the month of August. Our annual school auction is passed. It’s a relief for us as now we can concentrate on other things.

One day last week I decided to move our 3 little pigs from the barn to another shed. Just imagine how it would go with the help of four little children. Hans is 9 years old, James, 8 yrs. old, Ray is almost 7, and Linda, 2 years old. This is the crew I had, but I had it all planned out the way it should work.

I decided to rope the pigs (1 at a time), throw a bag over the head and put them on the children's small cart. Hans would then pull the cart while I held the bag with the pig. I thought I had a pretty good plan.

Things started out well but once I had the bag over the pig’s head she started squealing, thus causing quite a ruckus. The four dogs that had joined us, uninvited, started barking, and Linda started screaming. The remaining two pigs were running around the pen woofing and trying to escape. I then told James to watch the opening in which I was wanting to go through so that the other two pigs wouldn’t escape, but he was too busy watching the show to be there when I opened the door. Alas, the one pig got out and disappeared. I was still holding onto the bag with the pig, so I told Hans to help me deliver that pig to its new home and we’ll worry about the lost pig and the screaming 2 year old later. I forgot to mention that it was raining at the time.

Meanwhile, James went to the shop to get help from Dad and the older boys. They made their appearance just as I was ready to rope the second pig. Joas just grabbed it by the hind legs, and I slipped the bag over its head. We then carried it up to its new pen.

We looked around a little for the third pig but didn’t find it, so we went back to work and decided to wait until evening. By late afternoon it was spotted coming home. This time the older children & Dad helped each other to put it in its rightful home.

We are still canning – made a batch of pizza sauce and want to do another batch of pickle relish. Today they are doing sweet corn, and we also have 6 bushels of peaches laid out that we’ll work on this week. Probably will have more tomatoes to juice and make ketchup. We have also taken off the first watermelon. It weighed 28 lbs. and was very delicious.

The harvest is in full swing. God bless all.

Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment