Thursday, December 31, 2009

Amish Originals Furniture Co.: Miriam's Journal, December 31, 2009

Dear Journal,

The holiday season is upon us. I have to ask myself, “How am I making use of my time during this special time of year?” Many people get depressed at this time of year. Why? Actually, I was one of them. This year I decided that it won’t be me to get depressed. This is not the time that anyone should.

I made party mix, oyster cracker snacks, and cheese balls the second and third week of December. I didn’t wait until the last minute. I also decided that we don’t need lots and lots of food to make Christmas special. It only makes the children miserable and irritable. The gifts were used items that were in good condition, and Oh! you should have seen the children’s faces. It doesn’t matter what it is (in our house), but the simple idea that Dad and Mom love and care to spend time with the family is enough for them. They like when Mom takes time to wrap something (anything) so they can open it and…….Surprise!

With the meat canning that we had to do in the week of Christmas, I didn’t have time to wrap any gifts until Christmas Eve. It was after the children were in bed (at least most of them). I was surprised to find out that the five oldest children were playing ping-pong in the shop until midnight. Anyway, I was halfway through my project when our 2 ½ year old, Linda, awakened. Of course it wouldn’t have been much of an issue had I been in bed, but she heard some music from one of the toys. Uh-Oh! She was sitting up, bright-eyed, “Mom, what do I hear?” When I told her that I was wrapping gifts she said “I want to help.” I don’t know about the helping part, but I had company. That, in itself made it special. When it was time to wrap her gift I told her that she needed to go to bed at least long enough so I could wrap without her seeing it. She surprised me as she very quickly went to bed and just lay very still. As soon as I gave her the okay to come out again she was there ready to open it. I just explained when we would open them and she was satisfied, very dear.

Christmas day we were at home with the immediate family. We will have all our children here on January 6, Old Christmas. Three are married with three granddaughters, and two have special friends so it will make a get-together with 24 people. We will have brunch, then in the afternoon we’ll have snacks. We like to play games and sing, and of course do a lot of visiting. I will then make a light supper as no one is very hungry.

Family time is the most important around here so it doesn’t really matter what we have to eat, as long as we spend time together. I really enjoy having the family together, so I decided that cooking all day doesn’t get it. This holiday season was one of the best I have had in a long time, (so far).

So, I suggest to everyone – Keep it simple, inexpensive, and relax! Focus on spending time with the family.

Have a great New Year and God bless.

Your friend,

Miriam

©2009 Amish Originals Furniture Co. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment